Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Keystone Shout-Out: Staff Edition

Do you remember the series called, "You Asked For It?"   I will divulge a little secret to you...there were a TON of questions about the Keystone Staff and the behind the scenes questions. 
Well, of course, this got me thinking about doing my own little blog about my favorite stafferies. (I totally just made that word up, but I like it, don't you?!  But if Beyonce can get "bootylicios" in the dictionary, I THINK stafferies is a shoo-in.)

Let's start with the Big Pappa himself...don't ya just love him?!? Even my grandmother who is hard-core Episcopalian loves him! (Brandon reminds us both of my wonderful (and perfect) brother, Mat.) What I really like and admire about Brandon is the undeniable passion for his mission from God. He is so passionate about bringing people the "a whole notha' level" in understanding God's love for us and our value in Him. Amazing stuff. I respect Brandon's leadership, creativity, and fact that he does not ever allow his position of authority to ever be about himself.  Of, course we all know about Brandon's bean quirk:  He eats NOTHING with beans.  No beans, ever....except for coffee beans.  I really don't know if I have ever met someone who loves Starbucks more than Brandon!  And, I must admit, that since he is like, the last person, besides myself that is still a fan of Survivor, just gives him bonus points in my book!  

Susan, Brandon's beautiful wife, is amazing. She carries so much on her shoulders, but you would never know it because she always, always has a smile on her face, and a hug for someone! (and the fact that she is related to Diane Bohannan and Anne Hernandez is so cool...I love me some Diane and Anne!) I would just like to note for the record, that Susan, like myself, also has 4 children. But Susan's waist is like the size if my ankle...can someone please tell me the fairness of that?!  And, to further the comparison, I once offered to help pick up and do any last minute jobs around the house before a prayer team gathering...(we mom's of four have to stick together!) I figured, if it was anything like my house before people come over, it would be craziness.  Mad dashes being made to throw things in closets, and in drawers, spraying the kids down with the hose, yelling at whoever decided open the bag of cheetos and proceed to do an Indian War dance on them in the middle of the (now non) white carpet.    Nope, I walk into Susan's house to complete calmness.  Everything was perfect!  I think I pulled out a broom and pretended to sweep...  Help vacuum the living room (and just on a personal note, when I vacuum at my house, the noises that follow are insane).  But the funniest thing was right before people arrived, Susan (ever the gracious one!) says, "Wow, Heather!  None of this would be ready if it weren't for you!"  At the moment, I made a mental note hide the sign that reminds the boys to 'wipe their feet before they go outside.'

Brian Burton. Dude. For real...maybe one of the smartest and talented guys I have ever met. But what sets Brian apart from most, is he has such a grace about him. I would make the broad statement that most men struggle with showing grace!  Christ had unending grace and showed it to so many... Brian really does a great job also, and I think so many of us admire that about him! I don't know if any of you have ever studied biblical history, or even the history of war...but when Israel went to war, God actually commanded them to put the worshippers at the battle front to LEAD the army as they faced their enemies. God set this precedence so that we will know how important it is to worship when WE face the enemy (I know I am digressing here, but stay with me!). So, my point is, that each weekend when Brian rocks it out on stage with the worship team (shout out, AB and BR!), he is leading us into our personal battles for that week against the enemy. That is quite a job, my friends. Plus, I always laugh when I see Caleb watch Brian...he thinks Brian is the coolest guy ever--Caleb has said on several occasions he wants to grow up to be like Brian and "sing to God on stage and wear cool glasses." Love it.

John...oh, that John! I once referred to him as a 'ham' (while he is on stage), and he corrected me and requested that I only refer to him as a Turkey. Everyone please take note!

Of course, then we have Mary. I have blogged about my pal Mary before...but she is truly fabulous.  

Rob! Rob reminds me of the cool older brother of a family. I have to say I am partial to Rob, he has shown such kindness to my boys, especially Aidan. As a mother, to have someone take the time to show compassion and affection to a child that can be deemed "difficult" is HUGE. My eyes well up with tears even thinking about it...my boys have such a void in their little lives for positive attention from the "father-figure", and Rob has hit the nail on the head when he gives my sweet Aidan a hug or let him do cool things like hang out in the storage room with him! Rob shows the compassion of Christ to not only my children, but to everyone who crosses his path. It is amazing to observe! A little funny thing that you may not know about Rob, is he has this really weird thing about stairs. He has to RUN down them. Not once, but every single time! I can attest to this because my desk sits right by the steps in the office, and when Rob comes down the stairs, I have to stop typing. Otherwise my typing would look like this: Woiayufnao afdiahhhhajaf daa ad.  


Okay, my faithful blog readers...the person who you voted that you wanted to hear the most about is...da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaa: ERIC! (Insert applause here)


I have to tell you, Eric is my homeboy. (Anyone want a shirt that says that?!) I am sure that Sandy Walker would back me up on this statement: Eric is the funniest one out of the bunch, hands down. In fact, I am laughing now thinking about how funny he is...actually maybe I am laughing at some funny events that have happened to him, but whatever. (Okay, I still crack up about Hunter punching him "you know where" one weekend, and I think the whole Little Camper's Volunteer crew was roaring in laughter. I must tell you this story in person. The facial expression was the most hysterical part!)  I have sat here for about 30 minutes now trying to type how much I respect Eric and appreciate his leadership in our church, but I CAN'T!  All I can picture is his face when he was in the midst of his pain...I can't stop laughing!


...and still laughing...


Okay, okay...I must focus.  I don't think there is much about Eric that we don't already know, or that I haven't blogged about already.  Oh course we know about the fact that he was in Future Farmers of America and proudly watches race car driving (the roar of laughter is beginning to swell up in my throat again!) but did you know that he sang at Carnegie Hall in New York in high school?  Actually, I joke around with Eric, a lot (mainly out of defense for his teasing of the stupid things I say!) but he is the glue that holds our office together.  He works very hard, and is doing amazing work for God.  Although I still blame him for the whole twitter-thing.  I just don't get it.

Sandy openly admits that Eric is her favorite...I, however, cannot...I like them all the same.  Okay, FINE, Eric is my favorite too...but only by default because Sandy and I always find ourselves totally cracking up about Eric.  Funny, funny Eric.  (Actually, just so you know, I think Eric is everyones favorite...Rob just told me the other day that Eric was Trey's favorite too...so join the ban wagon!)


I have to say, that I am SO blessed to have this job...I love Keystone, and as I think about the staff, I am just amazed at the passion that each of them have for Christ and their duties as part of the Body.  It is so inspiring!  









5 comments:

Amanda said...

Great post -- very insightful. I know so much more than I ever knew I wanted to know!

Unknown said...

i have to agree with your sentiments that they are all the best in the world!! what an incredible group of men!!! (and women too)

martha said...

None of that surprises me. I so wished I lived closer and/or gas wasn't $4million a gallon and I would be there every doggone day! I have to ditto what you said about Rob. I am minus the missing husband factor but he DOTES on my children like he is related to them. And just thrills Lucas which you know is close to my heart since barf boy isn't liked by many around those parts. It is priceless to find a staff that are so amazing as individuals and bring their talents to the table to create what we experience with Jesus at Keystone each week. And they are all so humble and real. With stellar wives. It is awe inspiring and makes me thankful every day for how we found a home there...great post!!

Sandi said...

good one! martha - I am totally laughing about barf boy!

faye said...

love this.

i vote for "dega is my homeboy" shirt :)