Friday, November 21, 2008

#6

Actually, to be honest...this post could actually be #1.  I questioned even if I should include this one in my lineup.  I will try and write this post as delicately as possible....and you will understand why after reading it.

Have you ever watch the movie "Father of the Bride?"  My all time favorite movie series EVER.  Love it.  Practically have the whole movie memorized!  If you are familiar with the movie, you know FRANK, who is the crazy wedding planner played by Martin Short.  Short adapts a funny accent which also consists of the intermixing of incorrect vowels pronunciation.  For instance:  Tap would be pronounced with a long a, so it sounds like "top."  Now that I have explained this, one with my humiliation...


Once again, I am in my wonderful office setting.  It is my boss's birthday, and as per office tradition, we always get birthday cake.  Of course, since I am the only female in the office, I thought I would serve the cake.  I make the announcement over the intercom for everyone to gather around the conference room table...as these engineers file in one by one, I decided to try and lighten the mood with my WONDERFUL sense of humor.  Great move on my part. (read: sarcasm at it's fullest.)  And on a little side note...the typical engineer does not appreciate my sense of humor either.  Anyway, I start serving the slices of cake, and decide on a whim to talk like Frank.  "Would you like some cake?" I say in my funny accent.  I notice the guys are getting quiet, and there is an odd sense of awkwardness in the room.  I look around to make sure my dress hasn't fallen or something like that (please see previous posts explanation of my paranoia.) but I see nothing...so I am good, RIGHT?!?

 "Cake for anyone else?" still being 'funny' with my accent.  In that moment, I had an epiphany of what was actually coming out of my mouth.  If you say CAKE with the pronunciation I mentioned in the forward, you will quickly understand what was REALLY coming out of my mouth in front of 30 male coworkers.   Go ahead...sound it out.  Cake with a long a.  *WARNING: do NOT sound this out loud!

Yep.  That's right.  THAT is what I was saying with such humor over and over again.  Cake with a long a.   

Me and my stupid mouth.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

why am i not surprised by this.... I LOVE IT!

faye said...

I'm laughing so hard I am crying....