Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Prayerless Christians

I had a brief conversation with someone this week regarding prayer.  I was so disheartened to hear a self-proclaimed Christ-Follower say that she doesn't pray!  She doesn't think that prayer works for her...and her "wishes never come true."  I walked away from the conversation with some serious thoughts swimming in this (sometimes shallow!) head of mine.  

The major thing that was screaming in my heart is how on earth can we ever begin to feel close to God and really truly experience a relationship with Him unless we talk to him?  I mean, have you ever tried to have an intimate conversation with someone that you hardly know?  Uncomfortable!  We have to put the time into prayer...learning to pray...learning to talk with God...and learning how God speaks to us!

The Bible INSISTS that God hears and answers believed prayers.  

"Call to Me and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things that you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3
If you ask anything in My name, I will do that." John 14:14
"Whatever you ask in prayer, believing you will receive"  Matthew 21:22
"If you abide in Me, and I abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you" John 15:7

A prayerless Christian is like someone having a million dollars, but no concept of the value of money.  The gift that God has given to us to talk to Him whenever we want, wherever we want, however we want, is HUGE!  I mean, seriously!

And, I believe, the more we talk to God, the more powerful the bond become between us.   The bigger the bond...the harder it is for the enemy to get a strong hold through our weaknesses.  Satan wants our faith (Brandon said that this week, in fact!) Let me say that again:  Satan wants our faith!  Satan WANTS us not to feel comfortable praying.  Satan WANTS us not to be in the habit of talking to God about everything.   He wants us to feel that we are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things that God really doesn't care about the little things of our day-to-day lives.  And that, my friends, could not be further from the truth!

Most of you who read this, I know already know this amazing information...but I think the more that we as praying Christians actually "pray out", the more it might catch on with our prayerless Christian friends, and evoke questions opening doors for us to encourage them in their walk.  (BTW--What does "pray out" mean? I just sort of made that up, but I mean pray out loud, in the moment,wherever, whenever, with no shame.)

This subject is so much deeper than I could ever really blog about...and the truth is it almost midnight and it has been a long day.  I may reread this in the morning and realize it doesn't even make sense!  Oh the ramblings of a tired mom...

2 comments:

Eric and April Colquett said...

Thanks for sharing your passion! You are awesome Heather.

Anonymous said...

That was very powerful!!! I would like to post your words on my blog, giving credit to you of course, but I just want my friends to be able to read what you said. Prayer and communication with God is THE most important thing!!!

Thank you for your words of truth and encouragement.

Your sister in Christ!
Morgan

please visit my blog http://toniscloset.blogspot.com