Saturday, July 12, 2008

God's Purpose for you and me...

If you are like me, you have heard that phrase over and over again while we grew up in church.  "God has a purpose for you."  

I think I heard it so much I became deaf to it for many years.  Sure, I believed He had a purpose for those "power hitters" and people that had obvious talents that they could use for God.  But what about me?  To be honest, I thought maybe I was somehow skipped when God was passing out talents and gifts!  I have no huge talent, or obvious callings (or so I thought!)...I was just me.   Just me...but with a desire (that left me frustrated with what to do with it.)  I have thought that if I were a women with influence I would lead other women.  If I had a voice that could carry a note (actually on key!) I would sing to praise Jesus.  If I were uniquely creative I would create for Christ.  But I just don't have those talents--All I have is a desire. 

But news flash!  That is what God wants!  He wants us to have DESIRE to serve Him.  This revelation was huge to me!  And as a side note, I know that in the Bible it has told us that God speaks to us in the silence. "God is in the gentle breeze."  But to get this message across to me, I think my Holy Father must have pulled out His Holy bullhorn to get His point into this thick head of mine!

So, in my journey to discover what "God's purpose for me" is, I realize the first thing we must do is submit to that desire to serve God.  "I have a passion to serve You, Lord....what do You want me to do with it today?"  I encourage you to pray that prayer if you question your point and are feeling a little lost.  It has done amazing things in my life!  Acknowledging and submitting to the desire to serve God has allowed me to hear the gentle whisper that God has placed in my heart.  I get chills thinking about what God has planned for me.  

And one more thing...If you are like me, feeling frustrated at a lack of obvious talent.  Allow me to point out that TALENT and GIFTS are different.  I thought for the longest time that they were the same...but more on that later.  It is good stuff!
  

4 comments:

David and Bethany said...

I love how you shared your heart in this post. I know God has amazing things for you...and, it's not true that you were "skipped over!" You are one of the most compassionate, loving people I know! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Right on sister! You are a very talented and gifted person!

Eric and April Colquett said...

Heather, your AMAZING!! You truly DO have a servants heart! -April